How can we ensure sustainable access to clean water and sanitation for all people?
Primary SDG 6, secondary SDGs 3 and 14
SDG 6– Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
SDG 3– Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
SDG 14– Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
Problem Based Learning Methodology
1. Problematize to raise the analysis.
2. Group work on data collection, analysis, mapping and presentations.
3. Dialogue with local interest groups and volunteering activities during individual classrooms.
Water is necessary to survive and though, billions of people still lack access to safe drinking water, sanitation, and hygiene. This situation is mainly true for people living in developing or newly industrialized countries.
In developed countries that are abundant in water, the daily consumption of drinking water per person is high. In this connection, we have to aware that housekeeping and industry consume an important part of our drinking water. Beyond that, shady deals with drinking water in arid regions and the increasing pollution of water endanger sustainable access to clean water.
- What are the importance and the aims of SDG 6?
- How does SDG 6 interact with SDGs 3 and 14?
- What does the global status of SDG 6 look like?
- How can everyone contribute to SDG 6?
- How can we achieve awareness rising within our school?
- How can we call for action within our school?
The activities can be divided in different shared and individual sessions.
Lesson 1: Establishing contact
– Introduction to project and working plan
– Meet-up with partner to get in touch
– Ice-breaker activity
Lesson 2: SDG information and awareness rising
– Information on aims and global status of SDG 6
– Link between SDG 6 and secondary SDGs 3 and 14
– Walk on Dollarstreet and research on given parameters
Lesson 3 & 4: Critical cinema
– Watch a film/movie with discussion and reflection
Lesson 5: How can we contribute?
– Research for possibilities and suggestions for EVERYONE to save water or to prevent pollution of water
– Work out a top-10-list of suggestions
Lesson 6: School exhibition
– Preparation of school exhibition with outcomes of all lessons:
The class can be divided in mixed working groups from both countries or only from their own.
Shared Classroom 2
Individual Classroom 4
- Internet connection
- A device to connect, a pc, cellphones or tablet
- Each participant has his/her own device and headphones if possible
During the project, the students can develop different kinds of products:
- Powerpoint presentations
- Post-it wall or other types of school exhibitions
- Summary document with recommendations for action
- Call for action
For the full Teaching module click on the green button above.